Radisys awarded Best Software Bill of Materials prize and its Distributed Unit received Network Integration prize in Stage Three of 5G Challenge
HILLSBORO, OR, U.S. – October 13, 2022 – Radisys® Corporation, a global leader of open telecom solutions, today announced that it has won the Best Software Bill of Materials (SBOM) prize and has also been named the winner of the Network Integration Prize in the Distributed Unit (DU) category in Stage Three of the Federal 5G Challenge hosted by the National Telecommunications and Information Administration’s Institute for Telecommunications Services in collaboration with the Department of Defense. In the final stage of the challenge, Radisys’ successfully integrated its 3GPP Release 15 and O-RAN compliant DU solution with a Centralized Unit (CU) and a Radio Unit (RU) from different vendors to deliver an integrated Open RAN solution that proves the viability of building RAN infrastructure from a multi-vendor ecosystem.
- Communications Service Providers are committing to Open RAN architectures to take advantage of the benefits of disaggregated infrastructure, including the ability to minimize supply chain risk by being able to tap into a large multi-vendor ecosystem for hardware and software components.
- The 5G Challenge Preliminary Event: RAN Subsystem Interoperability was announced to help advance 5G interoperability towards true plug-and-play operation by accelerating the adoption of open interfaces, interoperable components and multi-vendor solutions.
- Radisys was the only DU vendor selected to advance to Stage Three and compete to win the Network Integration Prize. In this final stage, Radisys worked with the other vendors to integrate their CU and RU solutions into an interoperable Open RAN system that leverages O-RAN interfaces.
- Radisys’ DU was selected by the 5G Challenge judges’ panel as the challenge winner and received $250,000 for winning the Stage Three Network Integration Prize. Radisys also was awarded the Best Software Bill of Materials (SBOM) prize of $200,000 in recognition of its comprehensive and high-quality submission which exceeded the SBOM’s standards for improved security.
- Prior to entering Stage Three, Radisys won Stage Two of the challenge for “Emulated Integration” with its standards-based DU as part of a 5G Open RAN Subsystem for emulated integration and network integration testing.
- Radisys is a leader in Open RAN, delivering the industry’s first 5G NR protocol software that is compliant with O-RAN architecture, 3GPP Release 15 and 16 specifications, and the Small Cell Forum’s FAPI specifications.
“We’re excited to have participated in this important federal challenge that ultimately demonstrates true plug-and-play operation of Open RAN systems,” said Munish Chhabra, head of Mobility Software and Services Business, Radisys. “This final integration of our DU with RU and CU components from other vendors using O-RAN Alliance interfaces delivers a real Open RAN solution. Radisys’ DNA is in open telecom solutions, and we are honored that our award-winning solutions can compete and win at the highest levels in terms of performance, stability and maturity.”
“The seamless integration of the Radisys DU with other vendor’s solutions throughout the entire 5G Challenge was possible because of an ecosystem dedicated to compliance with open specifications,” said Ankur Sharma, Associate Vice President of Product Management and Strategy and Radisys representative in this trial. “This 5G Challenge is unique in its extensive and rigorous testing for Open RAN interoperability, hardware-software integration and performance benchmarks so that service providers can choose the best-of-breed solutions with open interfaces for their 5G networks.”
Radisys, a global leader in open telecom solutions, enables service providers to drive disruption with new open architecture business models. Radisys’ innovative disaggregated and virtualized enabling technology solutions leverage open reference architectures and standards, combined with open software and hardware to power business transformation for the telecom industry, while its world-class services organization delivers systems integration expertise necessary to solve communications and content providers’ complex deployment challenges. For more information, visit www.Radisys.com.
Radisys® is a registered trademark of Radisys. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.